Sequoia Arena Groundbreaking, May 1948
The Aahmes Shrine Rangers salute from their matched black-and-white pintos, while MHA officials deploy the first ceremonial shovel of arena footing. Mayor Frank Mott and Councilman Clifford Rishell were on hand to greet the electorate, and later they would return to present trophies at shows. In the late 1940s, MHA membership numbered more than 950. With the construction of the Sequoia Arena, the wilder MHA horse events, races, and rodeos at "Portagee Flat" made way for new Merritt College campus.
Image courtesy of the Oakland History Room, Oakland Public Library
Horse Show, Sequoia Arena, 1962
Image from the MHA archives
• Rancho San Antonio—Today's City Stables